Thousands of children, youth and adults suffering from an eating disorder do not access treatment due to a number of factors including the lengthy wait lists at public institutions and the lack of financial means to access treatment at a private clinic. While we know that the earlier an eating disorder is treated, the more likely a positive outcome, many people are only accessing treatment when their eating disorder has reached a critical stage.
In order to enable access to treatment earlier, WaterStone Foundation will provide financial aid grants to individuals who qualify so that they are able to access outpatient treatment at a private clinic. The assessment of financial aid will be determined by a financial institution and therefore, the applicant will be required to provide financial information, in confidence, in order to qualify.
WaterStone will grant up to $5000 per person. Individuals who qualify will be able to receive a second $5000 grant or up to $10,000 in total. Our partner clinics (listed below) have also agreed to reduce their rates by 25% for patients that qualify for financial aid. This means that if your treatment plan was estimated to cost $10,000, WaterStone would cover $5,000, the clinic would contribute $2,500 and the financial aid recipient would contribute $2,500.
This is a one-year pilot project with funding available for approximately 20 recipients. Over the course of the year, we will evaluate its success and feasibility and determine if and how we can expand the program in subsequent years.
About the Financial Assistance Application Process
- Client completes Financial Aid Clinical Application Form
- WaterStone directs the client to our clinic partners for an intake assessment. (Note: This meeting might be conducted over the phone or could be a one-time in-person meeting, paid for by the client)
- Partner clinic advises WaterStone that they can provide treatment to the client.
- WaterStone directs the client to complete Financial Aid Assessment Application.
- If eligible, WaterStone advises the client and the partner clinic that Financial Aid has been approved, contingent on the WaterStone Financial Aid Committee’s approval of the treatment plan.
- Partner clinic meets with the client to develop a treatment plan and estimate of the treatment costs.
- Partner clinic confirms that both the partner clinic and the client are willing to pay their share of the costs.
- Treatment plan and cost estimate are sent to the WaterStone Financial Aid Committee for approval.
- The Financial Aid Committee approves all or a portion of the treatment plan request.
- WaterStone Foundation advises the client and partner clinic that funding (or a portion thereof) has been approved.
- Partner clinic advises WaterStone and the client of treatment start-date.
- Partner clinic invoices WaterStone and the client monthly, based on the treatment received during each monthly period.
- Partner clinic provides discharge report to WaterStone Foundation (with client’s permission) at the end of treatment.
- Partner clinic and client complete a brief survey upon the completion of treatment.
Financial Aid Application Form
Please send an email with any questions and/or the completed application to:
Our Partner Clinics