Apply for Financial Assistance
To complete our application process, please complete both application forms below. In order to best protect your confidentiality, please print a hard copy and email or mail/courier your completed application to:
Chair, Financial Aid Committee
1066 Lavender Lane
Financial Award Criteria
- Individual must have an eating disorder diagnosis or is being evaluated/assessed for an eating disorder by a licensed health or mental health professional. DSM5 diagnoses include: Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder, Other Specific Feeding or Eating Disorder.
- The financial award is intended to assist in the cost of the treatment program which the individual wishes to enter; therefore, monies will be paid directly to the treatment provider.
- Financial awards are not intended to cover payments for past treatment.
- WaterStone Foundation’s objective is to provide financial aid to those seeking specialized treatment for eating disorders. The Foundation permits individuals to choose which treatment centre to get help from. However, the Foundation is required under charity law to only use service providers with which it has a written agreement. The treatment centre shall adhere to current recognized best practices for eating disorders as determined by the American Psychiatric Association, the Academy of Eating Disorders, and the regulatory bodies of professionals engaged by the treatment centre in connection with providing Treatment.
Process for Reviewing Applications
- Once you have completed and submitted in your application to WaterStone Foundation, your application will be reviewed by the Application Administrator, who will provide feedback regarding any missing or unclear information.
- The Application Committee is comprised of members of the community who have been recommended by WaterStone Foundation Board members and approved by the WaterStone Foundation Board. Membership may also include members of the Board.
- The Application Review Committee will review all applications and will make final decisions. Financial awards will be based on the following criteria:
- Financial need
- Urgency of need (based on treatment team recommendations and presenting information)
- Commitment to treatment program and motivation to change
- Strength of support structure post treatment
- If additional information is needed, the applicant (or parent/guardian) will be contacted by the Application Administrator.
- Award amounts will be based on the criteria listed above (3), the number of applications, available funds and potential cost of treatment.
- If resources are available, travel expenses may be reimbursed. Note that this form of assistance would only be provided on an exception basis.
- Financial awards are distributed on a monthly schedule.
- Applications received by First Monday of month
- Reviewed Second Thursday of month
- Applicants notified by Third Thursday of month
- The Application Committee reserves the right to make any exceptions to the criteria as is deemed necessary
- Preference will be given to Canadian residents seeking treatment in Canada
- The Financial Award expires 60 days from the estimated treatment start date as per the application but applicant may reapply.
- If an Applicant does not receive Financial Awards, they may reapply. Applications do not roll over.
- The Financial Award does not cover “no shows” or penalties incurred with the treatment provider.
Special thank you to Moonshadow’s Spirit Foundation for permitting WaterStone Foundation to modify and use their application materials.